White House Steel Ornament
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Laser-cut brushed steel
- 3 1/4 inch diameter
One of the most famous homes on the planet, the unmistakable silhouette of the White House is represented on this brushed steel ornament. A reminder of our rich national heritage, this holiday piece is ready to hang as part of a special Washington D.C. collection, or proudly on its own.
Our first president, George Washington, selected the site for the White House in 1791. The cornerstone was laid in 1792, and a competition design submitted by Irish-born architect James Hoban was chosen. After eight years of construction, President John Adams and his wife, Abigail, moved into the unfinished house in 1800. During the War of 1812, the British set fire to the President’s house in 1814. James Hoban was appointed to rebuild the house, and President James Monroe moved into the building in 1817. During Monroe’s administration, the South Portico was constructed in 1824, and Andrew Jackson oversaw the addition of the North Portico in 1829. During the late 19th century, various proposals were made to significantly expand the President’s house or to build an entirely new house for the president, but these plans were never realized. An ever changing abode for the elected leader of the United States, the White House is recognized and visited by people from all over the world.